Wednesday, March 9, 2011

These Is My Words - Nancy Turner

Death.  A lot of death.  Depressing, drag ya down death.  (Uh, is there any other kind?)

But hope, too!  I thought, after the first few chapters of These Is My Words, that I would seriously have to find another book to read.  The story was interesting, I really liked the characters.....but then those characters would die or be close to someone that did.

Now, I know that was part of the 1880's...with wagon trains, expanding the western territories and violent Indian raids.  But for Sarah Prine, it was a horribly sad time of loss and pain.  Her words cut through me and I just didn't know if I could read any more.

But I did - and I'm so glad!  Her close-knit family and all it's quirks, challenges and wonderful personalities kept me loving them through the whole book.  I know this story is just BASED on true accounts of Sarah Prine's life, but I'm so hoping some of the good times, the antics and the love that flowed between the people were true.  I just LOVE her and her story.

It's a tough read, but a wonderful, fictional account in a difficult time in history.  I'm a big fan of historical fiction, so this was right up my alley - with a bit more truth than I'm used to, but something I'll turn to again.  It was deeply moving in parts, frustrating in others and then just downright hilarious at times.

Read it.  You won't regret it.  It's actually a fairly easy read considering the history behind it.  Because it's in diary form, there are little to no "empty" words or long descriptions.  I got the idea and picture in my head JUST FINE.  Perfectly tuned in to what was going on - even thought it was only from one persons perspective and in first person.  I was never bored and never confused.  The story just simply flowed.

Again....read it.  Unless you like fantasy or books with the eternal happy ending.  'Cause then, well, you'll be sorely disappointed.

I PROBABLY won't read the sequels.  (I believe there are two more?)  I haven't decided at this point.  I liked this story, but I don't know if I need more.  I know, I'm weird like that.  But - so many books, so little time!

****
(4 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment